Saturday, June 30, 2012

nothing in particular


No group ride today; instead, The Excellent Wife (TEW) & I are off to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to take in the Gauguin, Cézanne, Matisse show. Prior, we'll do lunch at the Reading Terminal Market (there may be other places to eat in Philly, but I'll never get a chance to find out...). After the museum, we may drop in at a spice store in Chestnut Hill; TEW will undoubtedly have a coupon or a deal. Merchants tremble to see her come; she is a terror at combining coupons and sales - some time, you should ask her about the reading glasses she got for 1¢.

Instead of a group ride, I did the 20-mile Coppermine loop from home. My average was a leisurely 18.5, but I tried to sprint up the hill in an effort to improve my results on Strava.  Alas, they're having troubles right now, so I can't see my results yet, but I'll check in later or tomorrow and see if they've cooked 'em up to see how I did. (Good heavens - as I write this, I'm King of the Mountain on this route. I have no doubt I'll soon be ousted, but that is an ego boost!)

And I have 2145 miles for the year; more than halfway to my 4000-by-12/31 goal.

ADDENDUM ABOUT TEN HOURS LATER: I checked Strava, and feeling like I was working a lot harder, I only cut 4 seconds from my time on the course - and I dropped from 19th to 20th. Grumble, grumble.

3 comments:

  1. Jim, bike races are won by hundredths of a second in many cases; four seconds is huge! Next time we ride together I'll tell you about all the different strategies I've tried on the Rues Road segment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2012/07/ethics-of-strava-usage.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FCB+%28Cozy+Beehive%29

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link. I think it's worth a post.

    ReplyDelete