Saturday, June 23, 2012

only a little sweepy

I've been itching to do a faster group ride. A couple of weeks ago, I went to the Hamilton Y, hoping to hook up with Chris C's B+ ride; he wasn't there, so I did the short B ride instead. This week, I emailed and he told me he intended to be there (in no uncertain terms; in a way, I'm sure, unique to Chris C), so I went out this morning. The Excellent Wife (TEW) was out working at her soon-to-be-closing second job, and I didn't tell her I was doing a B+ ride today; after an accident last year (not involving me) we agreed I'd only do B rides or lesser. I will need to get her indulgence for this one.

But I needed it. Several weeks ago, I got an apology from a leader for whom I was sweeping for the pace of his ride. I think he forgot he asked me to sweep. I could certainly have kept up with his pace. And that was only one of a series of remarks, pitying looks, and so on, that I've been collecting for being near the back of the group when I've been sweeping. Ego demanded I do something about it.

I was reasonably sure Chris would keep to a B+ pace, and wouldn't put up with rough stuff or riding that posed a threat to the group, so I chose the ride he was leading from the Hamilton Y today for that ride. It was a good choice. I was not the fastest person on the ride, but I was more than able to keep up; I took several pulls, and my ability to whip up hills came in for a bit (not that there are any real hills along that route).

I met my personal goals. Although my overall average was 17.8, I was over 19 at the break. I hit my top speed of 29.5 on a flat, not a downhill, if I'm reading the graphs correctly. And, although I'm tired, I'm sure I'll be in shape to do the hilly Farmer's Market ride with Laura OLPH tomorrow.

A beautiful day; a beautiful ride. Again, pretty geography, like two weeks ago. There WAS a section, after the break, where we were paralleling 70 (if you magnify the map, you'll see that only about a quarter of that  strip across the bottom was actually ON Route 70; we jumped onto the service road as soon as we saw it was paved) where we passed what used to be a pig farm; the pigs are gone, but their effluvia remain; I gagged once until I stopped breathing through my nose (it felt like miles before I could breathe normally again - maybe it was!). Much of the route tracked what I remember from the planned First Joe McBride Ride from last summer, through the military base, and the lake at Browns Mills. On the way back, the group got a little strung out, and my sweep reflexes kicked in; I slowed down to make sure the folks in the back weren't having trouble (they weren't; one of the folks in the back was Chris making sure we kept down to a B+ pace).

Six of us: Chris and me, of course, Ron, Jackie, and two quick riders whom I didn't know: Doug and John. John and I got into a discussion of titanium frames; he'd just disposed of one and regretted it. John, if you see this, I got mine from Habanero Cycles. Doug disappeared toward the end, as did Chris, who had ridden in from home - so I depended on Mr. Garmin to get us back. Which he did. Thanks to Chris for leading this ride, and tomorrow (and likely for the rest of the season), back to sweeping and riding sensibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment