Thursday, January 31, 2013

easy as pie

Speaking of taxes (see the previous post), the last of the W2's came today, so I opened up Taxact, and, two hours and $17.95 later, I had filed both the state and federal income taxes, and I've already gotten the message that the federal return has been accepted (E-fuile is included in the cost).

I used to do the taxes in both Taxact and Taxcut (now H. R. Block), because they were both free to enter the data, and I could compare to see which was going to get me a bigger refund, but after three years of seeing that Taxcut always came out ahead for me, I've opted for Taxcut for the past several years. Besides, I do this on what Laura OLPH calls the "Ultra-Geeky Linux Computer", and both Taxcut and Turbo Tax used to make veiled threats about needing Windows or Mac to do the taxes online, and Taxact never did. It's all bosh, in any case: the browser doesn't care what operating system you use, and all the documents come across as .pdf's anyway.

So here we are, waiting for the refunds to show up, directly-deposited in the appropriate account. The Excellent Wife (TEW) thinks that it's a glorious thing that I do the taxes for her, but all I'm really doin' is data entry - the online program asks me the questions, tells me where to put in the numbers, sets up the stuff to print, and files the return. All I needed was a computer, a credit card, and the tax documents that have been piling up on my desk anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment