Tuesday, January 1, 2013

szczęśliwego nowego roku

That title is how my Polish in-laws would wish you a Happy New Year.

I don't drink anymore (click the link if you have the slightest bit of interest in why; opens in new tab, of course). Back in the first few years after I stopped, the other people I hung around with who had also stopped referred to New Year's Eve as "amateur night", when all the amateurs went around and tried to prove they knew how to party. Well, because I don't drink, New Year's Eve is not much of a celebration for me; I was invited to, and went to, a delightful celebration last night (many thanks, host and hostess), but we got there early and left before 10:30, and that was just about right for me. I think The Excellent Wife (TEW) would say the same (in fact, if I remember correctly, it was she who first raised the idea that it was time to go).

So, despite the fact that I slept in this morning (which means I stayed in bed until something-to-six, instead of the something-to-five or something-to-four that is my custom), I got up feeling about as I usually do first thing in the morning, which means I was energetic, peppy, and all that stuff that makes me an early-morning PITA. And, as it was 39°, I decided that nothing would be better than an early-morning ride up the Coppermine and back. So, as TEW rolled her eyes and laughed at my protestations that I didn't think it was too crazy to go for a bike ride in January, I left and did this ride.

Not real fast, partly because I didn't eat anything (back to the regular diet TODAY!), and partly because when I was in the lowest gear, I had some friction on the front dérailleur, so I did a road-repair and had to test it, and partly because... well, I'm just not in the mood to push all the time, OK? A couple of extra miles, because I could. No other riders out this morning (perhaps I was too early) and not much car traffic. I had fun... and I feel so much better about life and the world after a ride. I should do this often. (Oh, wait - I DO do this often.)

The Yellow Maserati needs a bit more maintenance (now THERE's a crisis!), so I'll be turnin' some wrenches later in the garage... and there's probably a trip to Five Guys in the offing (my regular diet has a certain amount of leeway). Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment