Wednesday, January 2, 2013

half-price gas

That title was just to get your attention; I'm really talking about CO2 cartridges.

I use 16g threaded cartridges, and the last time I got 'em in the shop, they were $10 for three, plus tax, or about $3.50 each. I'm always shopping for the cheap, and early in the fall, I found that BikeTiresDirect had a bulk discount...but when I went back to find it just before Christmas, it was gone (as I write this, they're offering five for $12.99 plus shipping, but that may be gone by the time you see this).

Well, heavens, there has to be a better deal than that. The Excellent Wife (TEW) doesn't have the strength to use the frame pump, so she's used a couple, and I carry 'em as ride sweep for folks who have tire problems, so I go through a LOT of em. What to do?

I did a search for 16g threaded CO2 cartridges, and I found that they have other uses: carbonating home soda machines, for one, and driving paintball guns. It turns out of you don't insist on getting 'em from a bike supplier, you can get 'em cheap in bulk.

I went to these guys and bought a shipment of 30. The raw price is low, but they have to be ground-shipped, and that brought the price up... but they were still less than $1.75 each. I just tried one, and it filled the tire up to over 90 psi, and that's good enough to get home on.

30 cartridges is a lot; you may not want that many. But if you found a friend and split 'em, it might be worth the freight.

No comments:

Post a Comment