Sunday, January 20, 2013

old school, new bike

I was too ill to go on Laura OLPH's scheduled ride yesterday. Afterwards, she copied me an email from a rider I don't know, who has a beautiful bike. In his Flicker photostream, he refers to it as a midlife crisis reaction, and it's certainly a much less stupid and dangerous one than the motorcycle I bought all those years ago!

Like with motorcycles, with bicycle enthusiasts, there's a divide between those who pursue the latest technology, and those who seek what they perceive as beauty. The owner/assembler of this bike is definitely in the latter camp (I lean more to beauty than bike technology, but I'm not as deep into it as he). I'm linking a few of his pics, so you can see what a great job he's done.

It starts with a Mercian frame:




Mercian is a custom frame builder in England; they've been at it for over 60 years. The rider has built it up with excellent components:


I love the cotton bar tape. I also love that he's picked up, not the main color of the bike, but the pinstripe color, for the tape and cable housing. (And I like the unpainted handlebar; I may get one myself for my silver-and-black titanium bike.)


This might be the current configuration. I recognize cranks from Velo-Orange; Honjo fenders; bags, rack, and probably bell from Rivendell Bikes. Big tires; this bike can do roads that my maximum 25mm tires cannot. And, of course, a Brooks saddle (I'd bet the B-17, but I could be wrong).

Last week, I did that ride with the fast guys. This bike is for a kind of riding that those guys don't do, and probably have no interest in. But the bike, and the riding style, suit me down to the ground. Well done, sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment