Monday, April 15, 2013

everyone will want one except me

Friend Dave C forwarded this week's Gizmag newsletter. He's apparently quite taken with this:


It's not a high-tech thermos; it's a bluetooth speaker that will fit in your bottle cage. It will run off your smartphone, and will even act as a hands-free phone unit. See the article.

It's cool, but I don't use a smartphone, and it brings to the ride music that I'm almost sure I don't want there. While I usually play music when I'm working on the bikes (and I've got a barely-functioning Linux system to stream music or play .mp3's in the garage), the only music I want on the ride is the music that comes to me as I pedal. It happens; I frequently sing to myself as we ride (I'm a bit more obnoxious on my solo rides, where the only person I have to worry about pissin' off is myself). And that's the way I want it.

I know many riders will go for this, but I also know that there are a few of us who seek the solace of the silence of the ride. de gustibus... in any case, it's not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment