Saturday, April 6, 2013

not quite spring

The email from Cheryl on Friday said:

I didn't see a hilly ride in the book for tomorrow, April 7th.   Any takers for a ride starting at 9 AM out of Pennington?  I have to be back by 12:30 PM so that's why the early start... Let me know if there is any interest.

... but  between the young lady with the multiple-dyed hair and the multiple suicide attempts, and the guy who was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder from his own history of gang membership and violent crime, I didn't get a chance to get back to her until late in the day, by which time Dave C had emailed asking me to come on Cheryl's pickup ride, too. So I responded that I was planning to go, and Cheryl emailed back that she thought I was avoiding her because I'd responded so late. Hrmph. Some of youse-all take me way too seriously.

I am roundly sick of cold weather, so during the week I took off the pedals that take the winter shoes and put on the ones that take the summer shoes. And despite predictions of temps in the 30's at the time I left the house, I wore only three layers instead of the customary four for cold weather. I paid for it, too; I was cold when we first started to spin out of Pennington. It warmed up later, but just barely enough for the gear I had on.

The regular reader will notice that I have no link to the ride route. After my rant a few days ago, I set my GPS to show the map instead of the ride data... and then forgot to turn it on to collect that data. Cheryl promised to send me a link to the route; I'll plan to edit the post when she does.  Edit: Dave C sent me this link to the route he saved in his GPS... and here's Cheryl's link to her route on RideWithGPS.

Five of us: Little Joe joined Dave from the Pennsylvania delegation, and Ron S came. We left Pennington for a ride up into the hills, and Cheryl told us we'd have most of the hills after the break. I remember going to Peacock's at the bottom of the long hill at Lindbergh, and then going across the ridge. I remember Rainbow hill, and going up the hill at Crusher Road to see the tree with the big burl... but we did cut the route a bit short to make sure Cheryl got back for an appointment.

As we were coming down Pennington-Rocky Hill road into Pennington, we took the left onto Old Mill, which is now open, apparently for the first time in living memory. That led to a back way into Pennington along Federal City Road, which was blessedly free of traffic and nicely surfaced; and, when we got to Pennington-Lawrenceville Road, I actually knew where I was and how to get back. I don't know who was more consternated by that experience, me or Little Joe, who was next to me at the time.

Don't worry, Joe; I don't expect it will happen again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment