Sunday, July 28, 2013

justice jersey

I don't know exactly where it started.

Maybe it started when I noticed that the NeoCons and "family values" folks always co-opted the American flag for their side of any politico-cultural argument.

Maybe it started with the re-election of George Bush, which proved to me that American Christians were willing to ignore pretty much everything Jesus said about taking care of the poor (that was one of the last straws breaking my belief in any kind of god, too).

Maybe it started when I noticed that at the Memorial Day and July 4th rides, some of my fellows had USA-related jerseys on. I thought that was a good idea, and, when a couple of my solid-color jerseys died, I thought I'd get a similar jersey.  But too many of them were either military-related (I have no military history), or were "liberty" jerseys... and, thanks in part to the TeaBaggers, that word has a meaning I can't support.

I needed another kind of USA jersey.

I found this jersey printer, ScudoPro, that will print a "partial-custom" jersey on one of their templates. They'll do a run of any size (including just a single one) and the cost is reasonable (and I'm cheap; if I say it's reasonable, it is).  If you look at the page, you'll see that most of the templates are pretty boring, but one is a USA flag design.

I decided that the word I wanted to face-off with "liberty" was "justice". It's in the pledge, and it just felt right. I went with this design:


And if anybody asks, I'll tell them that without justice, they won't keep their liberty. That a democracy that tramples the rights of the minority is just another form of tyranny. And that if all they want is liberty, they might not really want to live in society of other people.

(By the way, ScudoPro also has pre-printed jerseys, some of which are barfy, but some are cool. I got one of those, too. Check 'em out,)

No comments:

Post a Comment