Sunday, October 27, 2013

windy, supposed-to-be-a-recovery-ride with winter larry

I knew yesterday that I was planning to do a ride today, and I figured it would be Winter Larry's (he only leads between September and April), but I wasn't sure if I would add extra miles or how hard I would push, especiall after having been out last night with The Excellent Wife (TEW) to see The White Snake at the McCarter Theater at Princeton U (she liked it better than I), and subsequently later to bed than the 9pm that is my habit. But I was up, coffee-ed, and dressed early, so I decided to add my eight miles from Dr. Cliff's office, where I park after my morning bagel.

Cold this morning, though not as cold as yesterday. I had three layers, a heavy hat and gloves (I carried a lighter hat), but the lighter tights and socks. They were good choices; I was cold to start, but not overheated by the time we got back. (I'll ride down to low-30° temps; I don't want ice on the roads under those over-inflated, skinny tires.) You'll see in the pictures below that those who were dressed for the coldest part of the day had to peel and carry. I hate the bulging pockets, or the jacket tied around my waist, so I'd rather be a bit cold at the start and a bit hot at the end.

Ron S, Steve T, Jackie F, and Andrew-of-the-recumbent were already gathering at the Cranbury start when I got there, and shortly a new guy, Ray, with a nifty steel bike with downtube shifters, 1" threaded headset, and lugs (I had to go drool over it at the rest stop). There was discussion about whether Laura OLPH would put in an appearance; I would have bet against it after hearing her yesterday... but at about 8:56, she pulled into the lot. So we were eight.

Winter Larry was cagey about the route, but it turned out to be this one. There were a few places where we had to decide whether to push into the wind or not; I think at the first decision point, we opted for the easy way and went to New Egypt, but on the way home I asked for (and got) the route into the wind, and we took turns pulling (there were a couple of pulling stars in this crew!). Well, the few of us who had been on Laura's ride yesterday, and the others who had ridden yesterday, were thinking it was going to be a recovery ride... but with the wind and our energy, it didn't work out that way.

On the way back, we split into a fast crew and a slower one, and we slowpokes stopped to see a couple of horses in blankets, one with most excellent polka dots; you'll see n the pictures below. Because I like to make sure everybody makes it home (as I'd like someone to make sure I did), I stayed with the slower folks and swept on the way back.

And then back from Cranbury to Plainsboro, where I'd left the car. This time I opted for the straight route into the wind. I thought it would be worse than it was, but I maintained my average speed on the way back. Still, now that the bike clothes (with the rest of the laundry) are going into the dryer (those that go into the dryer; some air-dry), I wouldn't be surprised if there was a nap in the offing.

Pics:




Above and following: wardrobe adjustment, responding to the weather and the effort.




I don't know if it's clear in the picture above, but Laura is at the fence taking a picture of the excellently-blanketed horses, and Jackie F is putting away her phone after (I'm sure) doing the same.Here are the horses in question:


A slightly better shot of the photographers. I'm back to my thing of taking pictures of people taking pictures.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a great ride, guys. My first PFW ride out of Cranbury. Enjoyed it a lot, although I had 5 miles to ride afterwards straight into the wind to get home to Plainsboro. See you again soon. Ray of-the-Steel-Bike Luoma (aka CanadianInJersey)

    ReplyDelete