Wednesday, October 9, 2013

my worst enemy

At the direction of the company I work for, I went to a training about dealing with sexual assault and abuse today. Most readers won't know I went to college at a Catholic seminary. When the talk went to the priest child-abuse scandals, I was reminded of a number of guys I went to school with who were accused - and some convicted - of sexual abuse of kids in their parishes. For that, and for some other reasons, it was a tough training to sit through in the morning, although by afternoon I was nodding and yawning due to inertia and the stale, too-warm air.

But the morning was tough. Partway through (before the 9:30 break, I think), a new motto came to mind. I keep one motto up there as the subhead; in English, it means, "For what I have to do, I am enough." Like that one, when today's first came to me, it wasn't quite fully-formed; unlike that one, the Latin came bit by bit as it kept changing (it's not clear to me that I was changing it; it seemed to be a process by itself). By the time it was done, in less than ten minutes, I had it: inimicum malissimum meum mecum duco.

I bring my worst enemy with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment