Sunday, March 27, 2016

the great night

My Polish relatives refer to Easter as Wielkanoc, which translates to "The Great Night". It's a name that's much more evocative to my Christian wife than the pagan-translated "Easter".

She's taught me to greet the relatives with "Chrystus Pan zmartwychwstaƂ!" (To which the response is, of course, "Prawdziwie zmartwychwstaƂ!" After all these years, I've managed to get my Anglo tongue around the pronunciation to my wife's satisfaction. My mother-in-law, of course, is delighted that I even make the effort.)

The excellent wife has hope for life after death, but also thinks that part of the Easter message is about second chances. I can get behind that.

We're just back from visiting, and have a fridge full of eggs (some blessed) and ham products. It's gonna be a fat week.

Hope you're well, and you got through Easter OK. It's not ALL about chocolate bunnies, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment