Monday, May 23, 2011

anchor house update: last email

Below, the text of the last update email I sent about my riding in the Anchor House ride:

This will be the last update on my Anchor House Ride training before the actual ride. If you hinted that you wanted to be taken off this list, and I missed doing so, forgive me and be sure that you won't get any more of these emails! If you intend to donate, please do so soon; I am only credited for donations received before an All-Rider meeting in early June (while Anchor House will still accept your donations, they will not be credited to my efforts).

While I have been cranking up the bike miles (I passed 1,000 since the first of the year yesterday, on May 21), I have been on two official Anchor House training rides in the past two weeks or so: the first on the day before Mother's Day, and the second today. Both rides had the same route: a 62-mile tour of Mercer and Hunterdon Counties, including two wicked hills: Federal Twist Road in Stockton, and Lindbergh Road in Ringoes. Lindbergh Road is famous for the house from which the Lindbergh baby was kidnapped, and it's known among local cyclists for its mile-and-a-half unrelenting climb. Federal Twist, however, is harder: although the climb is short, it is steep: about 400 feet in about a mile (the grade is divided into two sections by a comparatively flat section, and the upper part is steeper than the lower; a local bicycle writer has referred to this climb as “rude”). As I was riding up the upper hill, I had to lean over the front wheel to keep it on the ground; it was lifting off every time I came down hard on the pedals. There are other hills on the ride that are barely worthy of mention (Quarry St in Lambertville, a total of 3.2 miles, but with some relieving flats and brief downhill sections, is an example), although I assure you my aching thighs and calves remember all of them.

The weather was not ideal today: while we didn't have to worry about overheating (with temperatures in the high 50's and low 60's), there was fog and drizzle. Fog is not a bicyclist's friend: a few of the roads we ride are highly-trafficked, and it's difficult enough to share the road with SUV's and pickups when you're sure you can be seen. I have an annoying blinking red light I hang on the back of my saddle for this type of occasion, and it was going all day today! I also noted at the breaks that the straps on my helmet were soggy. I expect that from sweat on a hot day, but I don't think I was sweating enough today – could it have been condensation from the fog? (I don't think we were high enough to go through actual clouds... but I don't know!) While it was cold, more than once I heard veteran riders remarking that the kids in Anchor House had tougher stuff to go through than the weather we were experiencing today – and that seems representative of the attitudes among the riders, especially the veterans.

62 miles is about 100 kilometers, and I was on another 100-kilometer ride yesterday. Yesterday we had glorious weather: warm but not hot, clear, and little wind; on the high points of the ride (literally; we skirted Sourland Mountain), we could see for miles. The day was so nice that I got a bit of sunburn on my shoulders right through my jersey (but not on my arms and legs: Wegmans sells a spray sunscreen that is both effective and persistent enough to stay on – thank you, Danny W). I'm glad to say that I now know I can do two 100-km rides back-to-back and still have enough energy to, for example, run a load of laundry (the bike clothes are in now) and write an excessively long email!

One of my favorite things about cycling, besides the speed, the ability to play with the bike, and the very cool people I get to hang around with, is the fact that it burns a LOT of calories: at my rate (a little over 15 mph on today's ride) and weight (about 175 lbs.), one estimate says I'm burning about 600 calories per hour. At about four hours of riding, that almost justifies the two bagels for breakfast, the chocolate-chip supercookie from the first rest stop, and the excellent cinnamon scone at the second (as well as the odd Gatorade and sugar in my coffee). I can't eat like that the rest of the week (or at all in the winter, more's the pity: that is, after all, when the big-eating holidays appear on the calendar), but I enjoy it while I can!

Thank you for bearing with me, and for the words of support so many of you have sent, and thanks to those of you who have sent donations in my name. If you would still like to make a donation, please do so soon. You can do it in any of these ways:
  • You can make an online donation through the link below. Anchor House has set up a PayPal link, and you can make a credit-card donation whether or not you have a PayPal account. The link will take you to a page with secure, 128-bit encryption, and will make sure I get credit for your donation:
    http://www.anchorhouseride.org/Donate.aspx?participantId=779
  • You can send a check to me at 38 Sassafras Court, North Brunswick, NJ 08902. Make the check out to Anchor House Foundation, and put the words “Rider Jim Brittain” in the memo section. I will deliver these donations at the All-Rider meeting to which I referred above.
  • Or you can send a check directly to Anchor House Foundation:
    Anchor House Foundation
    P.O. Box 2357
    Trenton, New Jersey 08607-2357
    Once again, please make the check out to Anchor House Foundation, and put the words “Rider Jim Brittain” in the memo section.

After the ride in July, I'll be posting a report on my blog, and I'll send out an email to let you know it's posted. Some of you have said you can't get to the blog; I've noted that, and I'll send you the text, with links (including to pictures).

Thank you again for all your support – and thanks to those of you who have made, or will make, donations: from me, and from the Anchor House kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment