Thursday, May 26, 2011

update on fedora 15 update

Fedora 15 came out on May 24, so I downloaded the DVD file, verified it, and burned the DVD to install it. I tried three times to do the installation, and the DVD faulted each time. So my system was unrecoverable.

I don't install new without doing a backup of all the important stuff, so I went back to my Fedora 14 install CD, and reinstalled that, then did the upgrades, then used the "pre-upgrade" procedure to update to Fedora 15. I lost all my settings, of course, and had to go and install all the software that's not included on the CD (and the "preupgrade" procedure to update is not intuitive; I had to interrupt the boot process to get a menu that allowed me to actually do the update). After that, I had to:
  • figure out how to get the printer going again (my Winprinter requires both hplip and hpijs);
  • figure out how to set my keyboard shortcuts and "compose key" in Gnome 3 (which is much-maligned, but some of that is probably because it's so new, although some is because taken-for-granted functionality - like screensavers - are not available);
  • figure out how to get the non-free stuff working, like DVD's and .MP3's (hint: it helps to read the instructions when you get a GPG-key error);
  • figure out where my backups were stored. They weren't where I thought!

(Sigh.) Well, it's all working now, and I found the backups, and I'm changing the backup system so I won't make the same mistakes. What this probably means is that I'll make newer, better mistakes for the next upgrade.

No comments:

Post a Comment