Wednesday, May 4, 2011

easy upgrade

After my problems upgrading to the new Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal on the desktop computer, I was a bit hesitant I updated the netbook (an already-overcommitted Acer Aspire with the outmoded 8" screen that dual-boots Windows XP and Ubuntu). But the upgrade went smoothly: several old Linux images were automatically cleaned out, the switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice appears to have gone without a hitch (although, of course, I lost all my specialty settings), the wireless card still works. I had to go reinstall all the Medibuntu specialty stuff, but that has to be done after any upgrade. And Opera and Chrome were still there (although I had to re-enable the repositories).

How come on my big, bad desktop, I had such trouble, while on the stupid little netbook it went so smoothly? (Actually, I suspect the reason is partly the NVidia drivers for the desktop video card, and partly a less-than-ideal match between the video card and the aging monitor... but Fedora is working smoothly, and the live CD of the Fedora 15 Beta seems to go, so I'm planning on keeping Fedora on that computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment