Friday, January 6, 2012

probably not a buddhist

My recent experiences with death, including that of my father, have me thinking about pain and suffering. And when the topic of suffering arises, I keep bumping into the Buddhist Four Noble Truths:
  1. Life is suffering;
  2. The origin if suffering is attachment;
  3. It is possible to end suffering; and
  4. The means to this ending.
(Before I go off on my rant, I need to say that the English word "suffering" is the translation of a Pali word, usually transliterated as dukka, and "suffering" may be a mistranslation. But "suffering" is the word most often presented, and I think it's the word Westerners think of when they talk about the Four Noble Truths.)

I think Buddhism is an Eastern way of dealing with the pain of life, which, as the first truth implies, is inevitable (some writers give the first truth as, "Suffering is unavoidable", which sounds better to me). But I am a Westerner, as are most of the people I know, and our focus is different, I think. We seek not to avoid suffering by avoiding attachments. Instead, I think we embrace life. Joy and suffering are all part of it.

While I don't suppose that anyone can disagree with the Four Noble Truths, I think that they don't engage the Western mind and spirit because we don't see that the purpose of life is to avoid suffering. For me, I think the truth is that life involves suffering, that the cause of suffering is attachment, and that I should be mindful of where I put my attachments in order to avoid needless suffering. But I don't think it's my goal to be detached or dispassionate (to use the language of one of the linked articles). When it's time to be passionate, I will be passionate. And I will take what comes with that.

We are, after all, a long time dead. For those of us who have a belief in an afterlife (and your current correspondent is not among them), we have no knowledge of what it will be... but I suggest it will not be like this life (or it would be this life). I think it's our duty to live this life while we can, with everything that that involves.

(In other news, I really miss my excellent keyboard. This papier-maché impostor is a chore to use.)

OLPH has a ride scheduled for tomorrow, which suggests that there will be a light-hearted bike post in the near future. Occasional readers, do not despair!

No comments:

Post a Comment