Tuesday, January 10, 2012

spam comment? i'm honored!

I've hit a milestone.

A post I put up in October on modifying my hybrid into a city bike has received a comment from someone I don't know. I checked it out, and it turns out it's a spam comment with a link to an online kid's bike vendor on the Left Coast (I'm not linking to it here; the use of spam commenting is an underhanded practice to increase search-engine visibility, and I don't want to reward it by giving them another link).

While I'm ticked that my blog is being used for such an underhanded thing (I have few enough real readers; I don't need parasites); I'm also intrigued that someone actually found my post. How deep on a search engine would you have to go to find that old post from October? And which search criteria would you use?

I'm ambivalent about deleting the comment. Yes, it's parasitic, but it is at least an indication that somebody actually looked at the article! And, as I remember from my single-and-always-striking-out-when-asking-for-dates phase (which lasted for most of my 20's and much of the time between my marriages), negative attention is better than no attention.

(I'll probably delete it in a day or so. But still...)

No comments:

Post a Comment