Wednesday, July 4, 2012

another view of strava

Friend Dave C (not Dave H, from the previous post) has other thoughts on Strava. From an email he sent me:
I love the way it's kind of extends the ride, we can sit at the computer and study the ride, I am already yearning for more details, I want to know how fast I was going on this section or that section, or even how fast some one else was doing, what I did and were they we're faster, etc etc. hills and sprints(...)
But he's got a concern:
(M)y fear is active Strava, you know its only just around the corner, the next gen of bike computers will have everything we have now, but you won't have to wait until you get home. We will enter into the "I'm just going to ride that section again, I know I can do better". I fear it's going to turn bike riding into another video game. It's getting close to that now.
If that happens, I'll turn off that feature. That need to continually do better will suck most of teh fun out of my rides. And if it's not fun, why bother?

No comments:

Post a Comment