Sunday, July 29, 2012

long, fast ride before event weekend

The Princeton Freewheelers Annual Event is scheduled for August 4. From the site:

Tour the New Jersey countryside on one of many rides from an easy 16 miles to a scenic century, from flats to rolling hills.  Routes of 20+, 35, 50, 65 Almost Hilly, and flat metric are also available.

Laura OLPH has assembled a team of thoroughbreds to do the century (I was invited, but I'm volunteering; if you get to the Millstone Presbyterian Church, be sure to say hello to me, and to The Excellent Wife [TEW], who will also be dealing out bagels and mixing Gatorade there). This week, Laura got nervous because she apparently hasn't done enough long rides, frequently enough, this season... so today she called out some of her minions to do a 70-mile ride to be sure we were in shape (an extra 12 or so if we rode from her house to the start).

I got to her house at about 6:30am, as did Jack H; we picked up Gordon (whom I've only met once), Joe M, and Dave H at the East Picnic Area at Mercer Park at 7:30. Much of the route followed the Ride for McBride, and many of last year's arrows were still there. We went down by Fort Dix (we had a smokin' paceline going on Browns Mills-Cookstown Road - both ways - and whipped around Browns Mills, too), then out to Wrightstown before we came back through Allentown. The guys who started from Mercer Park did just about 70 miles; Laura, Jack, and I did 83, and my average over all that time and distance was 16.9. TEW was amazed when I walked in the house as early as I did.

That included hanging around while Gordon fixed a flat. Although we had CO2, he had me pump up the tube; I got it to probably 60-80 psi, but Gordon was satisfied with that, and rode the last six miles or so on it. And he kept up with the group on that soft, high-rolling-resistance tire.  Well, I was impressed.

It was a great group, and a great ride, despite lowering skies and the threat of rain (and constant checks of smartphone weather apps). We were a well-matched group, despite some tiredness after four hours of riding, and mostly knew each other. We alternated between pushing the pace and easing up (although the emphasis was definitely on the former). I had been looking forward to this ride all week, and when the forecast went from 20% chance of rain to 40%, as it did two days ago, I was a bit grumpy (at least TEW suggested I was), but now that I'm relaxing and writing this after the ride, I'm more than glad I got it in. I'm also more than glad to have the riding buddies I do, and to get invited to do this kind of pick-up ride. Thanks, Laura, etal.

No comments:

Post a Comment