Sunday, July 15, 2012

i needed this ride

I'm blaming Laura OLPH for this one.

She was feeling a severe case of bike guilt yesterday: after Cheryl's cancelled ride, Laura went to the gym, and emerged after a spin class (!) to sunny skies and, apparently, a message from Cheryl that they had decided to ride locally anyway, did Laura want to come? Laura had missed the message, and, thus, really wanted to do a ride today.

The local NOAA forecast called for a 60% chance of rain. After a few backs-and-forths of the emails, I agreed to meet her there (with no grace or charm in the agreement, I assure you).

The ride was scheduled to leave at 9:00, and, as I was making the turn onto Disbrow Hill Road to Etra Park, I saw a dozen-or-so riders already leaving. My heart sank; I figured that I had either misread the list, or there was a late-breaking change that I hadn't gotten. But as I got to the park, I saw a few riders gathering, including Gary and Donna, the leader and his wife (who rides sweep; one of the reasons I wanted to do this ride was because I knew she does that I I wouldn't feel I had to).

I had a great time.  We did this route, through the Assunpink (up the hill today, that we went down yesterday), to the Wawa in Jackson, then back via Aggress Road (a couple of neat hills there, too; I was cookin' on Aggress) to the park. Fourteen went, including Tom H of the infamous El Capitain ride, Bob W, Ed&Michelle (married last summer; I heard about their bike-honeymoon!), John D, Jack H.  Along the way we picked up another John who had ridden with me on last month's B+ ride, and he and I had a little support-and-competition thing going.I had a good day, I was strong, and I rode everywhere in the group: up front, in the back; in the middle. I met a couple of folks, too; I hope I remember their names when I see 'em again!

I needed this ride. Due to family demands, I won't be riding next weekend, so if I missed one today, I would have been even more grumpy than usual.

Thanks for calling me out, Laura.

No comments:

Post a Comment