Wednesday, July 25, 2012

old guys ride with 3 weirdnesses

Yesterday, Erich sent out the email about the "Ride to the Ride" for the Wednesday Old Guys Ride. On last Wednesdays, the Old Guys go to lunch after the ride, but not all of us like to commit that kind of time, so one of the women who planned to come asked if anybody was planning to do the Ride BACK From The Ride right after we got back to Allentown, rather than going to lunch. I figured this was my out, so, dressing myself up in the livery of chivalry, I said I'd go.

When I got to the park this morning, six of us were there to do the Ride to the Ride, including the lady in question, so down we went, to do this route.  Although it got a bit windy by the end of the day, it was cool and clear, and a beautiful day for the ride. there's noting about those roads that's new, and I'm beginning to get a handle on where we're going on parts of those routes. We stopped in Columbus. There wasn't anybody who seemed to be having a hard time keeping up today.

There were three oddities, though. The first was this: Dennis, the guy who leads the ride, allowed his attention to wander for a minute, and got into a collision with a car; he snapped off the driver's side mirror, and got a little bloody on the arm and fingers. It's not clear at this writing whether he needs medical attention, although with some wiping up and bandaids, he was able to lead us back. The driver of the car was remarkably patient and thoughtful (and rides, sometimes; maybe she'll come out with us someday!)

Then, towards the end of the ride, Vern H had a flat. Almost everybody else went on, but Don S & I waited with Vern to make sure he was OK. We were only about 2-3 miles from the start point, but when I got there, I saw that the lady who had asked about company for the ride back to Etra Park (where my car was) was not there; she must have gone on without me. That was odd; I didn't think we had taken that long.

Edit: I have removed something I probably should not have included (I was not present when the event occurred), and I'll put this in, instead: As I was driving home, another driver nearly drove into my driver's side door; I barely avoided the collision. When I got to the next stop sign, I saw he was on his cell phone. I lost it; I jumped out of the car and roared, "Hang up! Hang up the phone!" Then I got back in and drove away. I was still hoarse when I finally arrived home.

On the way home, Vern said that he'd ridden in, and I provided him some company for the ride back (our ways were in common for several miles). We spelled one another riding into the wind; it was tougher than it looked! I was glad to see him, and I hope to see him and his group of Major Taylor riders if they come out to the Event, where The Excellent Wife and I will be working the rest stop at the Millstone Presbyterian Church.

1 comment:

  1. "We spelled one another riding into the wind."

    Is this a new way to pass time? "V-E-R-N. Your turn!"

    ReplyDelete