Tuesday, August 28, 2012

charts that won't work


The title of the article is, "Three Charts To Email To Your Right-Wing Brother-In-Law"


They won't work.


People, including me, don't vote on facts. We vote on how we feel. These charts, and most others, won't change that for most people.

I can think of only one instance where facts have changed my position, and that's unemployment insurance: I believe it really should be limited, because a study (that I cannot now find) shows that many people will avoid finding work until they have to. I have never seen any good evidence that people change their minds based on facts; we believe what we want, or what the people with whom we associate (or want to associate) believe, or we believe what we are paid to believe.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to disagree with you, Mister Jennings.

    While it is true that a certain segment of the American population treats facts as something to be chosen from to fit a preconceived notion, there is another segment that votes based on facts and is open to a change of position based on facts.

    I, for one, am in the latter category.

    ReplyDelete