Sunday, August 19, 2012

tired, aching, gun-shy ride

After both of the rides I wanted to do were rained out yesterday, Laura OLPH decided she would do Tom H's Lake Nockamixon Loop today, and after discussing the options with The Excellent Wife (TEW), I decided to go on this ride, today, too.

I probably should not have; my back has been achy, and my left knee was a bit pained after overdoing it yesterday. And about six miles in, on a stretch of Callowhill that couldn't have been a tenth of a mile long (but had a grade of about 20%), somebody crossed my front wheel, and, to avoid them, I went into the oncoming lane to the other curb. Luckily, there was no traffic, but I didn't have the energy to ride the bike up the rest of the way from a standing start on that grade, so I walked it up to the crest. For the next several miles, I was gun-shy about getting too close to someone in front on an uphill.

That said, on this fairly hilly route (Garmin only gives me credit for 2300 feet of climb, but one of the other riders had over 3000 before the last five miles), I didn't do badly:14.4 average and top speed 33.6. Blake, Dave C, and Tom H also went

The lakes are beautiful, and there was a nifty old lady (from somewhere in England; Dave C, who's also English, and she were trading "do you know about" stories) who knew all about the history of Lake Nockamixon, and about sailing on it, and told us about it in a most entertaining manner (although my back was complaining that I shouldn't have been standing up that long). Both that lake and the lake at the Peace Valley Preserve are artificial. Tom and Laura both got pictures, and I'll link or steal them when I can.

But my knees and back are tellin' me it's time to take a day off. (In other news, I have 2,995 miles in for the year, already!)

No comments:

Post a Comment