Saturday, October 27, 2012

tom-less californication oldwitchery ride

Tom's description of this ride in the list said:
CALIFON-ICATION: Looking for a change of scenery to lift your mood. Join Tom on a trip through the hills in and around Califon. Terrain will be hilly with a couple of tough climbs at a slow B pace. For more details call, email or check Tom's blog @ http://frisket.blogspot.com. Meet at Woodfield Park, Hillsbourgh, NJ...
...but when we got there, we learned that Laura OLPH was going to lead the ride in Tom's absence, and that, as we weren't really going to Califon, but more like Oldwick, this was really more of an "Oldwitchery" ride. Well, Tom's rides always have a bit of the unpredictable about them, this time despite the fact that he had uploaded the route to Mapmyride.com, and I had downloaded it onto the GPS.

Here's my results.  Despite the grey day, the lateness of the season, the threat of storms tomorrow, and who knows what-all else, we got seven riders: Laura and me, of course, and Ed (of the Castner Murders Ride), Cheryl, Alan, Glen, and another Jim, who may have developed a permanent nickname as The Other Jim (to differentiate him from Plain Jim, me.)

It was a grey day, and I'm still sure I felt the odd raindrop, but it was a beautiful ride, with excellent views not too spoiled by the fact that visibility was somewhat limited by the moisture in the air. If you look at the topo in the route links, you'll see it's mostly flat, except for a substantial climb starting at about mile 19, and a substantial descent starting at the end of that climb. Even given that climb and descent, and the wide variety in our abilities, we stayed together... except when Alan and I got to pushing one another's pace a bit (or when Ed and I did the same, but it was mostly Alan and I). That competitive thing dies hard!

Laura stopped for some pictures on the descent, as, I think, did Ed, and I'll link to whatever I can when they're up. Shortly after the descent, we stopped in Oldwick at a stop I remember from at least one other ride (although I'm sure I can't remember the name of it now), with drinks and food, and a real restaurant inside (I'm surprised we disreputable, sweaty folks get served at all! ...although there were Adirondack chairs and tables in the yard, and both times I remember [including today] there were bicycles other than our group there).

Then back to Hillsborough. There was a nerve-racking crossing of 614 (although I don't know how it could have been done better), and a slightly different route back. We seemed to run across a large number of friendly, courteous drivers, who let us pass in front of them (more than I remember from other rides, at any rate).

Laura had her helmet video camera, and we sent greetings to Tom at the top of the climb and at the bottom of the descent, and our gratitude to him for leading the ride in absentia at the end. Storm is predicted for tomorrow; unlikely to get a ride in. If only one ride this weekend, this was a good one to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment