Tuesday, December 17, 2013

minor skirmish in the war on christmas

While on her recent trip abroad, Laura OLPH passed "a window full of ornaments that are just completely wrong.  I apologize for ending the blog with this and potentially causing you nightmares." I, on the contrary, expressed my delight in the awfulness.

Laura evidently read that as a challenge; she came back with an ornament which she was sure would be beyond the pale, even for me. It IS arresting:


It's a Santa, with artist's beret, painting on an easel, with an Eiffel Tower behind. However, without batting an eye, The Excellent Wife (TEW) and I added it to our collection. Not all of our ornaments are this excellent (I admit I'm cherry-picking the best), but this Santa joins these:


It's a Santa on a rooster. (Why?)


One of the angel atop the Christmas tree. She's evidently more human than she looks; the caption reads, "How would you like a bush up your tush?"


Not on the tree, but on the windowsill nearby: Santa on a rocking horse with a New York Mets logo.


The obligatory "Couple's first Christmas" (which was given to us on our second Christmas. Oh, dear...) And one of my favorites, my abstract expressionist ornament:




No comments:

Post a Comment