Sunday, February 2, 2014

almost a normal weekend ride with winter larry

When the weather allows two weekend days in a row where a fellow can get out and ride, it would upset Fortuna not to go... so late yesterday, I had this text exchange with Laura OLPH:
 Me: "How 'bout leave Plainsboro for Winter Larry's ride tomorrow by 8:10?

Laura: "How 'bout see ya there!
So we left from the usual start in Plainsboro, discussing volunteering, science, and other weighty topics, while I tried not to worry about frostbite setting in and removing my fingertips. We got to the start, and we saw two, then three, then more, and eventually ALL TEN of the people who finished Laura's ride yesterday showed up again today... as did six others, so we started with sixteen. Larry made two promises: that we could burn it up along Hill Road, and that we would NOT stop at the Ptomaine Ptower in Clarksburg. I promised to sweep if we needed it.

Larry was as good as his word; we did this route. We came a long way down Old York, which is not my favorite road (but it is about the most direct way of getting down there), and went over by Polhemustown, where I learned a method for a left turn in traffic that I never hope to see again! I went whipping along Hill Road, and stopped to get a picture of the barn with the Chevy-logo window (you'll see it below), just as a younger rider whose name I didn't get was about to overtake me. Old age and treachery may outdo youth and ability over the long haul, but in the sprints, bet on youth.

We stopped at the Wawa near Great Adventure, where I noticed the abundance of red winter jerseys,

Then pretty much straight back to Cranbury. As we were going through Hightstown, there was a startling report (my ear may still be ringing), and Mark H pulled over with a blowout; we sent the rest along, and I helped with the tire change. His wheel seems to have a hard time holding onto the bead of the tire, and, with just a little bit of overinflation, it let go... but a new tube and some CO2, and we were on out way. Laura waited for me at the end, and then we rode back to Plainsboro, with nowhere near the headwind I've come to expect on that part of the ride.

Pictures? Of course pictures!


Chris in Star Wars tights. Aren't they great?





Note the Chevy logo on the barn!




Red jerseys!

The one below of Winter Larry would be a lot better if I hadn't cut off the top of his head.



(Mostly) Different red jerseys!



Above: Cheryl, layin' down the law.



No comments:

Post a Comment