Saturday, February 14, 2015

crosscheck project: parts

Over the past month, I've made a couple of references to a project I intend to build up, and I ordered some of the parts last week.

The parts are starting to arrive. Below, for the wheels build:


H-plus-Son TB14 rims, F125 front hub, SL210 rear hub, spokes, nipples, and other parts from Brandon at BikeHubStore.Com. Brandon runs a small shop, and I think he runs the help chat from his cell phone because he's been available and helpful days and evenings. I especially like that he doesn't label things; the only labels on any of that stuff is a small one around the valve hole on the rims (and yes, they do come with that fetching lingerie cover).

Below, a couple of other deliveries.:


Lower right, some bling: an IRD crank with old-style flutings. I've had my eye on this for a while. Lower left, some stop-washers from Rivendell, so I can back-engineer the bar-end friction shifters on my current commuter to be downtube shifters. Above them, some anti-bling: an inexpensive Shimano Altus rear derailleur (see the link for the too-long description of why this might be a good idea). It will happily do nine speeds with the friction shifting I'm going to use.

The frame will be a Surly Cross-Check, which I've ordered from the excellent Dave Kim at Kim's Bikes (yes, I know some folks have had trouble with one of the staff there, but you don't have to deal with that person, and everybody there treats me like the rich uncle who leaves Franklins on the table when he leaves, including the Spanish-speaking mechanics in the back). He's collecting some other parts for me, too. The handlebar and brake levers will be ported over from the set I built up on the commuter: a Nitto B115, with drop-bar levers that will work vee-brakes (don't use your regular brifters for these, they don't pull enough cable).

Further developments as they arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment