Saturday, July 14, 2018

bastille day 2018

A friend is having a house party later today, and that conflicts with the usual Saturday ride, so I went out on my own today to re-test the new part of the route for tomorrow's ride (are you coming?).

I left the house early and made an easy pace to Canal Road, then headed down to Rocky Hill and thence to Princeton on a route that avoids the worst of Mt Lucas. I was in full Anchor House regalia, and met a fellow who had also done it a few years ago (fewer than I); he asked if I were going to meet the troops at Quakerbridge, but neither of us had that plan.

Tom H would be proud of me; the route comes up Faculty Road in Princeton, part of which is closed...


... but that's not gonna stop us; there's a walkway beside that we can go up, and we get to pass several Lego-like barriers along the way. From there on out to Rt 27, where, at the launch, there was a rowing regatta with apparently hundreds of sculls from every upscale neighborhood east of Michigan:















It was great: the graceful sculls (so narrow! It's a wonder they stay afloat!), loud music, smells of cooking of all kinds, and well-muscled men and women of all ages.

Then up towards Kingston. As I turned up Laurel, I saw The Excellent Wife (TEW) pedaling down, so I reversed course and joined her for orange juice and cake pops outside the P.J.'s., late the old Main St Cafe (alas...). We then headed back up Canal Road for a bit, until I turned off to go home.

I have enough calories in credit that I intend to be excessively piggy at the party. And anything I don't work off today, I can hope to burn off tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment