Saturday, July 21, 2018

just about where i should be

Laura OLPH's ride listing on the Princeton Freewheelers ride calendar included the following description:

Flat ride at an honest B pace. 100 miles from my house (contact me for location, 7:15 a.m.), 85 miles from MCP East Picnic Area (approx. 8:00 a.m.), 68 miles from Etra Park (approx. 8:45 a.m.). 3 rest stops. No pace-pushers.

Well, I'm not doing 100 miles these days, and even 85 is probably beyond me in my current condition, but i figured I could handle 68 miles at the pace that Laura would probably go, so at stupid:30 in the morning I was at Etra, readying the bike and engaging the plumbing (which was actually open). Some time later, Winter Larry drove in, and at 8:30, the five who were starting either at Laura's or at Mercer Park rode in. Chris C came in shortly thereafter, and while he prepared, Laura did the ride speech and the rest of us cracked jokes and made small talk. Laura asked if I would sweep, and I gratefully accepted; I've been leading some rides, but I really belong in the back, shepherding the slow and those with mechanical problems.

We were eight: besides Laura, Chris, Winter Larry, and me, there were Jack H, Ricky G, comparatively new Hill Slug Brad, and Len, for whom this was his first Hill Slug ride and his first century.





Tom H wasn't along for this ride, so we decided early on we were going to blame him for any inconveniences or difficulties.

We took to the road at a spirited pace. I've been feeling poorly recently (I'm blaming a new hypertension med, but it may simply be a coincidence that the poorly-feeling started at the same time as the pills), and I was a bit concerned about being able to maintain the pace, but I didn't let on my concern, and I did OK.

Our first stop was at Ely Harmony and Jacksons Mills, where I had a bottle of OJ. Much of the ailment passed; perhaps what I need is more fruit juice. It was a hypothesis I would test along the way.





Rain was predicted, but the timing was a matter of dispute from the various sources. Laura said she'd decide at the Manasquan Reservoir if the route plan needed adjustment. I think she just wanted to see the Reservoir again and get some pictures. She wasn't the only one.








We rolled to the usual place, TR's in Belmar, and met Judy's ride; she evidently also thought a visit to the shore was a good idea for the day.




The Slugs got some food. I got a sub and another orange juice. So far, this hypothesis was fruitful. (Was that a pun?)




Mandatory establishment pics: yes, we were really near the ocean, with people on the beach and all:





And so, back. On the way back, Jack had a flat. Then, a half-mile later, his bottle cage needed tightening. Then a half-mile after that, his pump needed to be better mounted, or something. We decided to blame Tom H for the bad juju. (Of course.)

We stopped at the Dunkin Donuts at Wemrock and Monmouth Corner, where I got a gatorade substitute for my water bottle, and another orange juice. Don't mess with success.

And back. We headed back to Etra along Disbrow Hill Road, and I'm disappointed to see that the legendarily bad paving, about which I'd warned Len, has been redone. My credibility, never very good to begin with, has taken another hit. It may be because of that that Len jammed on his disk brakes and went down. I rolled back to see him, but it was clear that there was more damage to his pride than to either his bike or his knee. He resumed riding rings around me, as he had done all day, as we went back to Etra and the rest went on to Laura's.

Ride page. 67 miles, sweeping, on a flat Hill Slug ride to the shore. Except for the higher-than-usual average speed, this was  just about the kind of riding I had hoped to be doing. I hope there are more of 'em, and I hope I'm up to riding along.

No comments:

Post a Comment