Saturday, July 4, 2020

lies, damn lies, statistics, and...



It's been variously attributed, but I heard it was Benjamin Disraeli who said, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics". I think we were climbing another hill on Stamets, several hills after Tom H had promised that it was all downhill to the stop from wherever we had been, when I thought of this, and decided Mr Disraeli had never heard the promises of ride leaders, or he would have added a fourth.

Tom calls us his Insane Bike Posse, because we KNOW he misrepresents climbs, rides over closed roads and bridges, and sends us through various other inconveniences... and we keep coming back to his rides, anyway.

We left from the CVS in Lambertville.






... and started heading up into the hills. It was foggy and humid; every time we stopped, my glasses and mirror would fog up.





It took well over an hour for the fog to burn off... but the humidity remained, and it got hot.

We took a stop in Frenchtown.



As did all the other people who have been emptying the bike shops, apparently.









I saw this family riding their assorted bikes. We loved the camo-design tires on the BMX.



The Bridge Cafe was open and selling through a window. Porta-potties were available across Bridge Street.

And back. After a gazillion feet of climb, we decided to blow off one last bit, and impeded the traffic on Route 29 between the Prallsville Mills (which was rockin'! What's up there today?) and Lambertville. We were almost back before I noted Laura OLPH's most excellent socks:


Zebras! Don't you think you need some zebra socks?

In other news, I discovered my beloved Thomas Sweet in Montgomery has reopened. No toilets available yet, and serve-and-go only, but they're there. Oh, frabjous day!

1 comment:

  1. I have giraffe underwear, I'll bring them next time we ride together. ;-)
    Okay, I'm jealous of the socks. :-)

    ReplyDelete