Friday, January 22, 2021

another mask project and other sewing stuff

 

With the new, more contagious variants of the virus about, I figured I might need a better mask, and I found a pattern for one that reduces fog on the glasses. It's easy to add another layer to this one, and I've got a length of non-woven fabric that can be used either as tracing paper for patterns or as a stiffening layer, so this mask has layers of cotton on the outside and a layer of the non-woven between. I didn't get the shape exactly right, but it hugs closely to my face, and the not-glasses-fogging feature is reasonably effective.

I've also made up an over-constructed apron with pockets for The Excellent Wife (TEW). Pictures of it are useless if she's not wearing it, because it depends on being wrapped around a body to hang right. It's all straight cuts, so it goes together easily, unless you make every mistake you can in the assembly (ahem). I'm sure a second try will go more easily. She's on the phone as I write this, but I'll probably post a picture after she's available.

I've got a pattern for a t-shirt that's probably next, and I've got the patterns for bike jerseys... but those are a bit more complicated; I'll want to make 'em up in cheap fabric before I try 'em in fancy four-way stretch.

I need to work on altering my button-down shirts. T-shirrs and polos are easy, but button-down shirts require darts in the back. If I get good at this, maybe I'll start tailoring.

No comments:

Post a Comment