Sunday, January 31, 2021

bike jersey - first try

 


 

That floral pattern, as The Excellent Wife (TEW) points out. is pretty awful for a bike jersey. But this is just a muslin, a test.

But the pattern mostly works, and it mostly fits. What worked:

  • Adjusting the basic pattern to my own measurements worked a treat. I'm not as thin as the average bike racer of my chest measurement, and making the waist adjustment worked. (This pattern is supposed to be skin-tight, and works up thinner than your body size. Such things can be adjusted.)
  • I've used an open collar, but I didn't put in the zipper. It will definitely work without a zipper, and when I make up a real one for myself, I'll make it with a t-shirt collar. TEW has already said that if I make one for her, she'll want a zipper, and I figure if anybody else wants one, they will want a zipper as well. 

What didn't work:

  • The pattern calls for the rear pocket to be split in two. I split in three, and the pockets are too narrow. The side panels are wider than most, and don't leave enough room for a three-section pocket. (Sewing the back panel to the side panel at the pocket opening also needs special attention.)
  • They're serious about the amount of stretch needed. The floral is stretchy in all directions, but the white is mostly stretchy only one way, not the other. Putting in the sleeves was tough on the white side.
  • The sleeves want to be just that little bit narrower at the cuff. That's an easy adjustment to make. It would be harder if the sleeves were tight at the shoulder: probably possible, but not at my current level of expertise.

OK. Time to go choose some fabric (and if you'd told me even last summer that I'd be bookmarking a site called Spandex World...)

No comments:

Post a Comment