Wednesday, January 20, 2021

apothanein thelo

 The Sibyl at Cumae was the priestess of the oracle there. She lived about a thousand years, but aged miserably during that time; she had gotten long life as a gift from a god (sources differ), but when she refused the advances of Apollo, she was allowed to age, as she had not asked for eternal youth.

In Petronius's Satyricon, Trimalchus finds her shriveled to a tiny lump and kept alive in a jar. He asks her, "Sibyl, what do you want?" (in Greek, Σίβυλλα τί θέλεις; pronounced more or less "Sibylla, ti theleis"). She replies, "I want to die" (in Greek, ἀποθανεῖν θέλω, pronounced "apothanein thelo").

I learned this, as you did, not from reading the Satyricon, but from beating T S Eliot's The Waste Land to death in my English Lit class. 

I know someone who, if she knew the story, would empathize. But I doubt she ever knew the story, and the ravages of time will have taken it from her even if she ever did.

No comments:

Post a Comment