Saturday, January 16, 2021

surgical cap

 Remember those do-rags I made, for which there was some technical sewing required?


Well, they don't usually cover the ears. The Excellent Wife (TEW) has a few that cover her ears, and she prefers them... but those rags were big, and her head is small (it's a bit of an anomaly to me how she crams so much good sense into her head; for example, she is, as I have told her regularly in the decades of our marriage, a wizard of domestic finance... but I digress*). I tried adjusting the pattern so that they cover her ears (adjusting patterns is A Thing, but there are rules about doing it, and I didn't exactly break the rules as much as ignore the discipline entirely, like trying to do particle physics with the rules of grammar).

The pattern adjustment worked about as well as you expect it might.

(*but I digress. Now THAT was unpredictable.)

In my internet ramblings, I came across patterns for surgical and scrub hats:

When the coronavirus first hit, there was a call for these from healthcare providers, and volunteers shared the patterns free; I found half-a-dozen patterns in the first page of results (including one that was usable, but hand-drawn and not symmetric). The one in the picture above, linked here, is the one I wound up using.

It's just two pieces; no technical bits; and you can make three or four mistakes on the first one and still have a usable item (ahem!). I had enough fabric for two; TEW has one, and the other is up by The Excellent Mother-In-Law (she chose it over a do-rag I made for her; there's probably something about the outlaw-ness of the do-rags that strikes her as unseemly. Or something).


OK. I think it's time to try a more demanding project. I've got a pattern for a cross-back apron in the works, and a tee-shirt behind that (knitted fabrics are reputed to be difficult). TEW has hinted that some of our pillowcases are a bit tired. And the patterns for the bike jerseys (one for matched X chromosomes, and one for XY) are in the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment