Wednesday, January 13, 2021

i think i found the squeak


 The Yellow Maserati, my titanium bike (which is neither yellow, not a Maserati), has had this persistent and annoying squeak. In an earlier post, I pointed out that I had lubed, adjusted, and swapped out parts... but in the following ride, the noise was still bad enough that I got a number of rude comments, one, for example, about riding among a flock of songbirds.

The squeak occurred in time with the pedal stroke. I decided the problem might be the saddle, and I think I found it. That Selle Anatomica I ride has an adjustment bolt in a specialty fitting... and the fitting has developed serious wear (you can see it on top in the photo above). For reasons we need not go into here, I have another one, which you can see lower in that photo, with no such wear. I've swapped them out, and we'll see if the squeak disappears.

If it does, when this one develops the squeak, I'll have an excuse to try that Brooks Cambium C17 Carved on which I've had my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment