Friday, September 10, 2010

Trouble over Paradise

My wife and I are going to Hawaii this fall. She has spent the past several months researching and planning the trip, and remarks over and over again about how two people can afford to go to Hawaii on social-service salaries (we both work in Welfare offices).

I’ve pointed out how she seems to be enjoying the process of planning the trip, but each time I did, she was in the middle of setting up some arrangements which were anxiety-producing for her, and she pointed out how difficult this was and how wrong I am about how much she’s enjoying these plans. We’ve argued about it, and I don’t know how to talk about it with her anymore.

I don’t bring it up, and I’m just going to have to be quiet when she does, because I don’t know what kind of response is not going to bring on another conflict.

Oh, well. A few more weeks, and we’ll be back, and I won’t have to worry about it. I’ll let her tell everybody how wonderful it was, or wasn’t… because I don’t know.

No comments:

Post a Comment