Wednesday, April 6, 2011

losing the battle

Look, I'm really trying not to buy the Garmin Edge 605, which really has all of the GPS capability I need (I don't give a d-mn about the heart monitor or the barometric altimeter in the 705; I just want turn-by-turn directions and mapping, so I can learn where the h-ll I am). But, as I've been looking, a number of things have come up:
  1. MapMyRide.Com will allow me to upload routes, and download new ones;
  2. I've found a few sites that show how to do GPS stuff in Linux (especially this one);
  3. HeartRateMonitorsUSA.Com has the Edge 605, with City Maps SD card, for only $299.


I prepaid a few bills and donated some cash to the Ride for McBride, so I don't have the cash for it right now (and I don't pay by credit card unless I can pay the bill online that same day), so I've bought myself some time to think this through. But I'm weakening; the GPS is sounding like a good idea (or maybe I just want to buy myself another toy, which is probably more the case).

Maybe I'll just buy a Velo Orange or Brooks leather saddle, instead. Or maybe I'll do both he saddle and the GPS.

Oy.

No comments:

Post a Comment