Thursday, April 7, 2011

this too...

Over the past week or so I've been agonizing over buying a bike GPS. Today, the feeling has passed.

Part of what I did was look at refurbished netbooks on sites like Newegg and Tiger Direct. For less money that I would spend on the GPS, I could get a computer, with Windows 7.

Part of what I did was go to another bike shop and look at saddles. It wasn't what I expected. There are big soft saddles, big hard saddles, and small hard saddles. The saddle with just the right amount of padding and flex, the right size, with the right profile, is not going to just fall into my lap (not that it would do much good there).

If the saddle isn't going to be perfect, then the GPS isn't either. And it's a lot of money to spend, and a new technology to learn (and maybe not a lot of opportunity to learn it).

OK. The accuracy of the Sigma BC 1600 I have is suspect. I keep it because I know how it works, and because it will keep three mileages. But I think it's time to swap it out for the Nashbar computer I got to fill out a big order for 20% off; that computer might be more accurate (the Sigma is old enough that there are separate factor entries for British mileage aand kilometers).

So long, GPS. You weren't that good of an idea.

(Addendum: I gave a donation to the USO, too. Giving away money to keep from spending it on stuff I don't need might be a good strategy.)

No comments:

Post a Comment