Sunday, April 3, 2011

today's ride & gps

Another ride today with the Princeton Freewheelers: a 32-miles at between 15-16 mph. Slower than I wish we had gone, but fast enough. Good group: eight riders (easy to keep track of, but enough people so there's variety in the conversation - and, at this pace, there's breath enough to have conversation).

Several of the fellow riders have a GPS. I've been thinking about one (see the post from 3/31/11), since I'm always lost, and since I wouldn't have to depend on a cue sheet (and could download rides, or save rides to re-do later; I might even be able to lead rides, since I would know, at least theoretically, where I'm going*). But the least expensive one that has the turn-by-turn directions for which I'd be looking appears to be the Garmin Edge 605. The prices seem to start about $270, and it looks like I'd need an additional map at $50-70. So it looks like a $350-400 item, and I can't justify the cost. I'm hoping that prices come down (although manufacturers of geek gear, in their efforts to keep prices up, usually add features rather than allowing prices to drop). Maybe I'll look at it again some day.

*I feel a certain obligation to lead rides, because I'm strong, and because I look out for the riders in the groups that I'm NOT leading... but it's probably also because I want the prestige of being a ride leader, and the free jersey you get when you lead ten rides. Speaking of riding jerseys, this Ubuntu jersey has caught my eye, but the price is ridiculous. £ 59.49 is about $95. If I'm not going to go for a GPS, I'm CERTAINLY not spending that on a jersey!

No comments:

Post a Comment