Sunday, May 6, 2012

happy birthday to me

Today's my birthday, and I've been counting my blessings. It's been easy to do so today; it started with this ride led by Gary Wotton. His wife wasn't there, so I swept in her absence. I rode in to Etra from Cranbury, and then forgot to turn to computer back on for the first part of the ride (not the first time I've done that!), but Gary's part was about 40-something miles, and I figure I did a little better than 50, including the rides from Cranbury and back. We started with twelve, including two women who decided they didn't like our pace and dropped off (although they pulled into Clarksburg minutes after we did, and then pulled right out again - and why do we so frequently stop at that filthy, depressing place, anyway? Tradition?). Two others were riding a bit slow (not much) for the pace of the rest; they didn't look like they were suffering, but rather that the had decided on a manageable pace, and were going to stick to it, thanks. I don't have the presence of mind to do that in a similar situation; I'll ride myself ragged to try to keep up, and be all cranky and upset when I can't. My hat goes off to 'em.

Then off to the Stage Left Restaurant in New Brunswick, where my wife took me (partly on a gift card). We had a delightful dinner, and a delightful time (The Excellent Wife is an entertaining dinner companion; gossip and slander fly apace when we're out enjoyin' ourselves & feelin' superior). We're just back, where I've been getting all the birthday well-wishing phone messages, and counting up the loot, whcih includes a not-insubstantial amount in Barnes and Noble gift cards to buy books for my First Edition Nook, and a Unicomp 'Clicky' keyboard to replace the one that I killed. I'm typing on it now, and yes, it really is that much better than that $10 modified dustpan that comes with most computers. (I'm old, and I have my crotchets and my preferences. I wear a watch, I tuck in my shirts, I like my land line better than my cell phone, and I want a keyboard with positive feedback.)

I also primed the garage door between yesterday and today; I'll plan to put a coat of paint on it this week. The kitchen is complete, the chores are done; tomorrow, back to work and routine. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment