Thursday, September 6, 2012

ain't goin' nowhere this weekend

I've slept about five hours total since Monday; my throat feels like it's been cut; I went to my doctor's office today and the on-call guy said no drugs (more below); if I sit back or lie on my back, I get to coughing (which also hurts); and I'm spitting into the toilet because it hurts too much to swallow.

I'm not going to get to the McBride Ride on Saturday. I'll be happy if I can get back to work on Monday. (If one of youse does the ride, can you pick up my men's medium t-shirt? It's paid for...)

(The doc said no drugs for the sore throat, which is consistent with that WASP-y suffering that's so much a part of my makeup. He did suggest a Neti pot, which has provided some temporary relief, and non-medicated cough drops. I was hoping for a Lidocaine prescription, but no such luck.

(However, it turns out you have to use bottled, filtered, or boiled water in the Neti pot; there have been a small number of deaths worldwide blamed on a bacterium that opportunistically used the Neti pot flush to infect brain tissue. I started using water that went through our faucet filter, but I have since set aside a supply of water I boiled that I will reheat. But my bike riding is more of a threat than the Neti pot.)

Here's wishing youse-all a better weekend than I expect to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment