Friday, November 29, 2013

bikes from cars


Hmm.

It's from a site called "Bicycled", and they're making bikes out of junked cars.

This is the start of a good idea. I like the re-use of car parts, and the imaginative use of blinkers, upholstery, and door handles. But I think they've got a way to go. That saddle looks chafe-y in the perineal "taint" region, and, for a bike used in an urban area, a quick-release on the seatpost is an invitation to theft (and why do you need a quick release on the seatpost, anyway? How often to you change your saddle height?). I'd sooner see those door handles as downtube shift levers.

I don't expect to see 'em soon; the site is apparently in Spain, and they really are making 'em one-by-one.

Edit 11/30/13: Laura OLPH, having a bit of trouble logging in to leave the comment, wrote: "What I tried to write was that the quick-release seat post is to prevent theft/vandalism. It allows a commuter to bike in, lock up, and take the saddle inside (which also keeps it dry, should there be rain, but then I guess the inside if the frame gets wet instead)." I never thought of that! As for the frame getting wet inside, you could cover the opening with a plastic bag, or you could use liberally a product like Boeshield...

No comments:

Post a Comment