Sunday, November 3, 2013

building bike wheels: parts are in

I wrote a few days ago about Musson's wheelbuilding book. As an example of how cool it is, here's an instruction video of him lacing a wheel:



I hacked a bit to post it here; he includes this video as part of his support to people who buy his book. The support pages also include plans for custom tools (some are in the book, but the plans on the site are expanded).

I got my parts from BikeHubStore, a shop in North Carolina (I think it's another of those "run from the guy's basement" shops; the owner, Brandon H, responded quickly to two of my emails, and he provides quick service and emails with links to shipping info when you order). Parts are in; I intend to do the build on Election Day, when I'm off. I'm especially happy with the parts because there are NO logos except for the stamped "SAP" on the Sapim spokes.

In the book, Musson writes:

The rim is flat and round to start with and by tightening the spokes the same amount it will remain flat and round with the hub central in the wheel, and if we get our spoke lengths correct the dish will be very close too. Then all that is required is a bit of fine-tuning to finish the wheel. And that's how we build them so quickly.

I don't know about quickly, but I'm sure I've got the theory of the build, if not the practice. I'll let youse know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment