Saturday, November 2, 2013

new fitness calculator that I don't believe

A New York Times post in their "Well" blog discusses, and links to, an new fitness calculator. This calculator, posted by the Norwegian University of Science & Technology at Trondheim, uses frequency, intensity, and duration of exercise, along with waist size (in cm) and resting pulse, to determine a "fitness age".

The Excellent Wife (TEW) put in my numbers, and, according to this calculator, I have a "fitness age" of 35.

This is utter twaddle. I'm 58. If it had come up 48, or even 45, I might have bought it.

Hrmph.

Go try it out and see what you get.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I'm 22!

    I don't want to be 22. I didn't have my life sorted out when I was 22.

    OK. I changed "I go all out" to "little hard breathing and sweating." Now I'm 36. I had my sh*t together when I was 36, but I was still commuting to Philly and I didn't have MTB gearing on Kermit yet. Owning a carbon fiber bike was beyond my pay grade. Let's try again.

    How about "I take it easy..."

    Voila! I'm 47.

    So does this mean I ought to slack from now on? It's on the Web, so it must be true. I'm bringing a wagon to the next group ride. Y'all can pull me.

    ReplyDelete