Friday, November 22, 2013

inmates fixing bikes for bike exchange. good idea.



Laura OLPH sent me this article about inmates at Trenton State fixing bikes for the Trenton Bike Exchange (in a Department of Corrections warehouse, not at the shop on Olden Ave). I've been trying to come up with something pithy to say on top of that. but the only thing I can think of is, "How is this anything other than a good idea? Why isn't it happening at, like, every jail and prison in the country?"

I recently listened to this podcast of Robert Pollie's 7th Ave Project. The podcast is about inmates finding meaning in prison. I'm not naive enough to think that every inmate is going to benefit from this kind of thing (although the folks getting the bikes sure will), but it's still the right thing to do.

(While you're at it, go check out the 7th Avenue Project links in the previous paragraph. The podcasts are great; they're among the things I listen to while I exercise. I just wish I could get more of 'em.)

No comments:

Post a Comment