Friday, November 1, 2013

mad horse

Not every quote on the web is appropriately attributed (as has been pointed out to me), so when I found this neat quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin, I decided to see if I could verify it was his. It was; it was part of the Poor Richard's Almanack collection. (Before he was "Benjamin Franklin, statesman, scientist, wealthy businessman", he was a nearly-starved printer's devil in his brother's shop; he eked out his means by making up, and... uh... well, stealing, a number of aphorisms that he published in his brother's paper. When the brother found out the Ben himself was writing [or plagiarizing] them, they had such a set-to that Ben took off for Philadelphia, where he found some success.)

Now, the full text of Poor Richard's Almanack is available online, so I went and read it. It's good. The text is an autoscan, and there are some scanning errors, but I don't think they are so much that it makes the reading impossible.

The quote that got me started is no. 31, "A man in a passion rides a mad horse." I don't know where I got it. But I've decided if I ever start a bicycle business, it's going to be called Mad Horse.

1 comment:

  1. Given your line of work, the animal was not the first definition that came to mind when I read the word "horse."

    ReplyDelete