Sunday, February 12, 2012

how the h-ll did that happen?

This year, the excellent wife and I are celebrating fifteen years of marriage.

I have no idea how it happened. She says it's because I picked the right person, but there's nothing in my history to suggest I could ever do that, and everything to indicate I have an unbroken record of picking the wrong person, so I'm not taking any credit. It must be something she's doing.

Nonetheless, fifteen years. We've been doing the traditional anniversary presents, but mostly as a point of departure; we have fun with it. For example, first year is paper; we got one another tickets to some show - I remember that a woman with whom I was working at the time was horrified that we were being so flippant about our relationship, but I note that we are still married, and she is not. Year thirteen is lace, and I remember we went to a show of Dutch Renaissance painters in which a woman with a flamboyant lace collar was prominently featured.

Year fifteen is crystal. The excellent wife determined that the Waldorf-Astoria hotel...


... has a huge crystal chandelier in the Park Avenue lobby...


... as well as several smaller crystal chandeliers in the first floor halls...



... so nothing would do except a fifteenth-anniversary brunch at the Peacock Alley in the main lobby.

It was a delight. Not that there were many esoteric menu items, but everything there was, was well-done and high-quality, and small details were paid attention to; even the checking of our coats was elegantly and smoothly done. I can't, of course, bring you the food, but the place was a visual feast as well.




And here's the obligatory "we were really there" picture.




The actual anniversary isn't until April, but we like to have a Monday off after we go into the city of a Sunday, and this weekend was convenient for it. We've decided to save the Valentine's celebration for April, instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment