Sunday, February 5, 2012

sunday ride, and doin' the taxes

Today was cold and raw, and only three people went out on Winter Larry's ride. We went to Bordentown again, as we had in November, but this time by a different route (crossing the NJ Turnpike three times on the way down, as you can see). On the way back, we tried a different route to reduce the mileage (and the time in the cold & wind, which had picked up). I'd like to do this route again (but we can wait until the weather warms a bit). The ride was pretty, and there was almost no traffic on the way down - people must have been sleeping late preparing for the Super Bowl festivities to come later.

Bordentown is beautiful: right on the river, with a real downtown, Victorian-looking houses, and other homes that appear to have been worker housing. There was money there once upon a time (there may still be, but it was clear that at the time the town was being built, people were showing off their prosperity).

Do I need to start bringing a camera to illustrate these mental ramblings?

Now I'm back home, and I've done the taxes (I use Taxact online; I've tried Taxcut, which always tells us we owe more money to the state than Taxact does, and both Taxcut and Turbotax get all squirrelly when they figure out my computer runs Linux - but all of the products do the work through a web interface that doesn't care what your local OS is, and they all have you download your forms in .pdf format, so why do you have to do this on a Windows or Mac computer?). Once I've got all the paperwork, it's just a matter of filling in the blanks, and Taxact has a go-quick entry method and a let-me-hold-your-hand-and-we'll-get-through-this-together entry method, which is the one I use. And it's cheap (regular readers will know I'm a sucker for the cheap), and includes e-file. All I gotta do now is wait for the excellent wife to wake up from her nap to let me know which account is to receive the refunds.

Tomorrow, back to work. Life could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment