Sunday, February 26, 2012

not where i wanna be, but not where i useta be

A month ago, I was feelin' old & sluggish when my average on the Coppermine loop was only 17.5; it had been up to 19 mph three times last year.

Because of a social commitment*, I couldn't do a group ride today, so I did the Coppermine loop this afternoon. My average was a respectable 18.7. I'm feelin' better.

(The first part of Coppermine Road is steep; locals call it "the wall". I was having trouble getting up that part; I looked down, and I hadn't shifted off the big chainring. The going got a bit easier after I downshifted.)

*Imagine that: my wife insists on sharing some of my time, and insists, as well, that I see some of my non-riding friends now and then. I think it's an unfair imposition, but I suppose it's part of the cost of staying married. Hrmph.

In other news, my cheap bifocal riding glasses (they're actually safety glasses, but they're great for riding shades) turned up broken today. I bought a couple pair, and an extra pair of the clears, as well. At that price, I can afford the backups (I've seen costs for riding glasses of over $100). (Someday I ought to do a post on my cheap alternatives to regular bike gear: what I do on the cheap vs. what I spend money on, and why.)

No comments:

Post a Comment