Friday, February 17, 2012

sunlite truing stand - assembly & usage

The Sunlite Truing Stand arrived today. There's a reason it's as inexpensive as it is; it will do for a wheel true, but I'm not sure it's stiff enough for a "build from parts". Still, I was able to use it to get the worst wobbles out of the wheels of the city bike, and I expect I'll get more adept with it the more I use it.

One of the complaints I saw in my researches about it was that it comes in parts, with no instructions, although it's not heard to figure how it assembles. Nonetheless, herewith find an unboxing and assembling tutorial on the Sunlite Truing Stand:


When you open the box, you find the stand, and a bag of parts.


You'll assemble the parts to form the gauge against which you'll measure the lateral (side-to-side) and radial (distance from hub to rim) true of the wheel. There's a thumbscrew to go through the slot in that hook-shaped part so you can set the radial true. The picture shows it, although in this picture (and the next several) I've got it in the wrong side of the hanger frame, so it will be upside down when I want to use it.


Those other two thumbscrews thread into holes in the side of the hanger fame, so you can set the lateral true. The screws at the top will come off in a bit so you can mount this assembly onto the stand:


Here you can see it with the screws at the top removed. The now-exposed carriage bolts...


... go into holes in the side of the stand. Here you can see one on and one off:


Here's the stand with a wheel in, and the gauge hanger frame in place, with the side screw in so I can set the lateral true. The other piece is to far out now to set radial true, but I wasn't interested in that for now:


Front wheels, and those narrow enough to fit, go in the narrower set of slots at the top. Wider wheels (like the rear wheels on most bikes) go into an additional set of slots a little further down the arms:


That'll do!

2 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I've been building my own wheels using a truing stand just like this for years. Good for you Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine seems a bit wobbly; perhaps they have cheapened since you got yours. do you use a dishing tool?

    ReplyDelete